Please note that applications for 2019 are closed.
About the program
The CO.AS.IT. Language Assistants Program places young university graduates from Italy to work as language assistants in Victorian schools. They support qualified language teachers to provide authentic language and cultural experiences for students.
The program is governed by an agreement signed by the Department of Border Protection and CO.AS.IT. The agreement stipulates the universities with which CO.AS.IT. has signed a relevant memorandum. The assistants have to be recent graduates of these universities and the maximum age is 30. There is a public selection process (bando di concorso) administered by the universities – in conjunction with CO.AS.IT. – to select the assistants.
The selection process takes place around October to December; the assistants arrive at the beginning of Term 2 of the school year in mid April when they will undergo an induction program at CO.AS.IT. first, and then be placed in the successful schools.
The program aims to:
- enrich Victorian school Italian programs through the provision of native-speaking language assistants
- provide Victorian teachers and students with opportunities to increase their knowledge and understanding of Italy, its language and culture
- promote language learning and intercultural understanding in Victorian communities
- foster relationships between Victoria and Italy through ongoing linguistic and cultural exchange.
Applications from individual schools for the Italian Language Assistants Program will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- The school provides an Italian language program which is delivered by a qualified Italian language teacher(s) for a minimum of 20 hours per week (if the school does not teach the language for 20 hours per week then the school needs to submit a joint application with one other school).
- The school demonstrates a strong commitment to the teaching of the language (e.g. evidence that Italian is identified as a priority in the school's Strategic Plan; goals/targets are included in the Annual Implementation Plan; a demonstrated increase in students enrolled in the language program; or other school initiatives to promote and improve Italian language education).
- The school demonstrates how the quality of its languages program would be improved through the support of a native-speaking assistant.
- The school demonstrates a commitment to providing professional support and development opportunities for the language assistant, including the appointment of a mentor. This could also include participation in language conferences, regional professional learning activities and network meetings.
- The school ensures that the school community provides free and suitable accommodation for the first 4 weeks of the program and supports the Assistant in finding ongoing accommodation.
- The school outlines a sound strategy for supporting the wellbeing of the language assistant during the placement, including an induction to the school upon arrival.
CO.AS.IT. receives more applications from schools than there are language assistants available. The information sought in the application will assist in the determination of a priority ranking of applications for language assistants and enable the assessment panel to make an informed decision about the allocation of language assistants. Please read the guidelines carefully before completing the school application form
Download the guidelines and the school application form for the Language Assistant Program for places in 2019.
Closing date for applications: 9 November 2018
Note: Late applications will not be considered
Return completed applications to:
You will receive an email confirming receipt of application.
Please contact Ferdinando Colarossi if you have any queries regarding the program and/or the application process:
Phone (03) 9349 9000