Applications for the 2022 Italian Language Assistant program are OPEN from 11 October 2021
About the program
The COASIT Language Assistants Program normally places young university graduates from Italy to work as language assistants in Victorian schools. For 2022 however, due to the Covid-19 pandemic and associated restrictions, equally qualified Assistants will be sourced locally.
Language assistants support qualified language teachers to provide authentic language and cultural experiences for students. They support language teachers in the development and delivery of engaging language programs.
Language assistants can also be asked by COASIT to participate in resource development, student language immersion camps and teacher professional learning.
This program is funded by CO.AS.IT. and the Italian Government with funding support from the Victorian Government.
The program aims to:
- enrich Victorian school Italian programs through the provision of native-speaking language assistants
- provide Victorian teachers and students with opportunities to increase their knowledge and understanding of Italy, its language and culture
- promote language learning and intercultural understanding in Victorian communities
- foster relationships between Victoria and Italy through ongoing linguistic and cultural exchange.
Applications from individual schools for the Italian Language Assistants Program will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- The school provides an Italian language program which is delivered by a qualified Italian language teacher(s) for a minimum of 20 hours per week (if the school does not teach the language for 20 hours per week then the school needs to submit a joint application with one other school).
- The school demonstrates a strong commitment to the teaching of the language (e.g. evidence that Italian is identified as a priority in the school's Strategic Plan; goals/targets are included in the Annual Implementation Plan; a demonstrated increase in students enrolled in the language program; or other school initiatives to promote and improve Italian language education).
- The school demonstrates how the quality of its languages program would be improved through the support of a native-speaking assistant.
- The school demonstrates a commitment to providing professional support and development opportunities for the language assistant, including the appointment of a mentor. This could also include participation in language conferences, regional professional learning activities and network meetings.
- The school ensures that the school community provides free and suitable accommodation for the first 4 weeks of the program and supports the Assistant in finding ongoing accommodation - NOT APPLICABLE TO THE 2022 PROGRAM
- The school outlines a sound strategy for supporting the wellbeing of the language assistant during the placement, including an induction to the school upon arrival.
CO.AS.IT. receives more applications from schools than there are language assistants available. The information sought in the application will assist in the determination of a priority ranking of applications for language assistants and enable the assessment panel to make an informed decision about the allocation of language assistants. Please read the guidelines carefully before completing the school application form
Download the guidelines and the school application form for the Language Assistant Program for places in 2022.
Closing date for applications: 5 November 2021
Note: Late applications will not be considered
Return completed applications to:
You will receive an email confirming receipt of application.
Please contact Ferdinando Colarossi if you have any queries regarding the program and/or the application process:
Phone (03) 9349 9000